Whether you prefer exciting nightlife or watching wild ponies in the dunes, you’ll love our nearby beaches.
Go 'down the ocean, hon!
Our white sand beaches are some of the most beautiful in the U.S. Eat fries (with vinegar, of course) on the Ocean City Boardwalk, or camp in the dunes with wild ponies on Assateague Island. The Atlantic is 2.5 hours away or get your beach fix at Sandy Point (near Annapolis) or at a local swimming hole in town.
Things to Do
- Ocean City offers wide beaches, an old-fashioned boardwalk, and lively nightlife.
- The pristine state park beaches in Delaware are dog and surfer-friendly.
- The 786-acre Sandy Point State Park is just 40 minutes from Baltimore, offering swimming, crabbing, fishing, boating, hiking, and camping on the Chesapeake Bay—and hosts the annual Polar Bear Plunge to benefit the Special Olympics of Maryland.
- Gunpowder Falls State Park, about 20 minutes from downtown Baltimore, offers canoeing, windsurfing, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, tubing and swimming.
- Oregon Ridge Beach, Cascake Lake, and the Gunpowder Hammerman Area are about 30 minutes from Baltimore and offer swimming and picnicking.
- The national park on Assateague Island offers in-the-dunes campsites just steps from the ocean in the land of the Chincoteague ponies.
- If you can’t get to a real beach, join a Beach Volleyball league in the Inner Harbor.