I am looking for an editorial intern for the 2020 Baltimore Weddings issue. Ideally the position will run from early summer (June 2019) until the issue publishes (December 2019) and the candidate is available 2-3 days a week with flexibility during major photo shoots. There is no particular set of skills I am looking for … but interns tend to have either strong writing or styling credentials. (This is not an internship to learn how to work in the wedding industry, it’s editorially focused.) Looking for someone with enthusiasm and boundless energy, strong writing skills, and an equally strong sense of style. Who is organized but not uptight. Who I can trust as an equal but is looking for a real opportunity to learn. And who truly loves Baltimore.
Skill Set Required
- Familiarize yourself with the products (magazine, website & social media.)
- Manage Baltimore Weddings’ social presence across social platforms including Twitter and Pinterest, including daily posts, ticket giveaways, blog promotion, and live event coverage.
- Migrating over content onto our new website (knowledge of WordPress a plus.) Repackaging old content into new concepts and photo galleries.
- Assist with photo shoots. We have a large number of shoots every summer/fall for Weddings. They include fashion, dessert, flowers, Aisle Style, sidebars, etc. Intern will help pull items, keep shoots running smoothly (keeping track of items, noting descriptions and prices, helping with model transportation), help load and unload and return all items once shoot is over.
- Writing assignments are available for a candidate who is interested and has experience, for Unveiled & Aisle Style in the magazine.
- Keeping track of and interviewing all Wedding of the Month couples.
- Hitched blog posts. Reporting mini stories, interviewing experts, keeping our posts lively, grammatically correct and interesting.
- There are about a million other little things – contacting stores & vendors about shoots, keeping on top of wedding trends (via magazines Pinterest), editing the Venues chart, double checking captions, occasionally doing a lunch or coffee run during a shoot, standing in for models during light checks, etc.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
2019 (for the 2020 issue, June-December ideally)
Hours per week:
April 30, 2019
Resume, Cover Letter, Writing Sample
If this is you, please read a current copy of Baltimore Weddings (I can send you one) and send a cover letter and resume to me.
The Weddings internship is all encompassing and really fabulous. You get to see a magazine be created from start to finish. You get to see it go from a story board in my office to the photo shoots to a hold-in-your-hand copy of the magazine.
We reimburse for mileage and offer school credit at the end of the internship. Intern must have a car.