Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
Volunteer Position Description:
The volunteer will assist Irvine staff in leading drop-in nature exploration and play class for homeschool children in two age groups: 5-10 yrs and 11-14 yrs. You will help facilitate nature-based play and investigation in an environment that values hands-on learning, risky play, and getting muddy. Duties include assisting children with self-help skills, facilitating social interaction and cooperation, engaging in play with children, assisting with outdoor exploration, and helping with set-up and clean-up of materials. Volunteers must be physically capable of hiking up to two miles per day.
• Assist the Head of Homeschool Programs in leading the Bauer Explorers drop-in class for a group of 5-14 students during their 2-2.5 hour program.
• Setting up for the drop-in class by gathering and set up materials.
• Safe guard student safety during by conducting risk assessments for and with students
• Participate in and supervise nature play and investigations
• Provide group management with the assistance of the Head of Homeschool Programs
• Clean up materials after class
Skill Set Required
• Experience working with younger children is desirable
• Trust in children’s abilities and a willingness to step back and let them take the lead
• Enthusiasm and curiosity about the natural world
• Strong communications skills
• Positive attitude and professional demeanor
• *Current First Aid/CPR helpful, but not required
• Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required (or approved medical or religious waiver)
Hours: (total of 33 hours)
• 1-4:30 (5-10 yr olds): Jan 17, Feb 7, Mar 14, Mar 21, Apr 11, Apr 18, May 2, May16
• 1-4pm (11-14 yr olds): Jan 24, Feb 21, Mar 28, Apr 25
**Additional hours available if interning with other homeschool classes Monday-Thursday mornings or Wednesday afternoons.**
Owings Mills, MD
Spring (Feb - May), Winter (Jan)
Hours per week:
Must be available Tuesdays from 1-4:30pm.
January 9, 2023
Resume, Other - Must complete our volunteer application.
Please fill out the Volunteer Application on our website at https://www.explorenature.org/get-involved/volunteer/ before sending your resume and three references to our Volunteer Coordinator, Maggie Winkler, at WinklerM@ExploreNature.org.