Position reports to the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) Department of Marketing, Communications & Community Health team members and contributes to writing, editing and content development for various communications channels. Our office is responsible for system-wide communications, including media relations, internal communications, website, video work and more.
The ideal candidate is a college-level junior or senior pursuing a degree in communication, public relations, English, journalism or a related field. The position is unpaid. Interns may receive course credit for the internship (subject to your school’s requirements) and will be hired to work two full days (or 16 hours) per week for at least one full semester.
- Will rotate in roles/assignments with our various communications teams: external and internal communications, media relations, publications and website. Duties will include creating content, executing various writing and editing assignments, editing the website using our content management site and more.
- May also work with UMMC Communications staff on other related assignments, including providing support for various hospital events.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Junior or senior undergraduate student with cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher (on 4.0 scale).
- Preference given to students with demonstrated leadership skills and a wide array of interests/activities. Related work experience is a plus.
- Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment. Extended time on a PC is required.
Skill Set Required
- Presently pursuing a degree in communication, public relations, English, journalism or a related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills essential (business writing, editing, presentations and professional phone demeanor). Health-related writing experience or completed coursework in science classes is a plus.
- Skilled at web navigation, and capable of using the Internet and primary sources for research.
- Solid project management skills and experience thinking independently. Ability to handle multiple priorities in stride.
- Understanding of and experience with communication disciplines such as graphic design, advertising, marketing and public relations.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; HTML experience is a plus.
- High attention to detail and ability to identify key messages.
- Willingness to learn.
Spring (Feb - May), Winter (Jan)
Hours per week:
16 hours (2 fulls days)
U.S. Citizen/U.S. National
January 5, 2018
Resume, Cover Letter, Writing Sample, References
To apply for this exciting opportunity in downtown Baltimore, please e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (410-328-0703) a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and letters of recommendation to Marketing and Communications Specialist, Hope Gamper. A list of references may be provided in lieu of letters of recommendation.
Questions? Call Hope at 410-328-7702.