This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a local nonprofit start-up that is building its operations to best address the unique digital needs of our community. The VISTA Digital Inclusion Coordinator will play a critical role at our newest PCs for People office, helping to ensure that high quality digital inclusion services are provided to the community. To contribute to these efforts, the Digital Inclusion Coordinator will manage several projects and activities including:
Coordinate computer distribution and education events at schools, out of school time programs, and public housing, among others locations.
Lead the efforts to develop digital skills resources and trainings, creating new and leveraging existing resources and content, developing partnerships with other organizations to collaborate on training development and delivery throughout the Baltimore area.
Identify and train community residents to serve as volunteer Digital Navigators – people that provide digital inclusion services/coaching such as helping other community residents with internet connectivity in their home, securing a computer, and digital literacy training.
Recruit and coordinate volunteers who can assist with digital literacy training, support the Digital Navigators, assist with computer refurbishing and recycling and the technical support help desk, or other opportunities as identified.
Help uncover barriers to achieving digital literacy that participants may have and collaborating with partner organizations to help participants overcome.
Skill Set Required
Required skills include:
- Competency using desktop and laptop computers
- Competency using Windows 10 operating system
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Public Speaking
- Patient and effective coach/instructor
- Willingness to work in inner-city Baltimore, Maryland
- Strong commitment to Digital Equity, Digital Inclusion and social justice
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Adult Education, English, Communications, Human Services, Information Technology
Spring (Feb - May), Summer (Jun - Aug), Fall (Sep - Dec), Winter (Jan)
Hours per week:
32 - 40
Monday - Friday
Yes, $1900/month stipend
February 28, 2021
Resume, Cover Letter, Writing Sample
Please send a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to serve in this role and how you believe the experience would benefit you educationally and from a career perspective.
Compensation & Benefits:
A VISTA member is a full-time, paid national service member, who will serve with PCs for People Maryland for a one-year term. Below is the list of benefits for the position:
- A modest living allowance, which is paid every two weeks
- Generous leave time: 10 personal and 10 medical leave days; federal holidays and additional holidays offered at PCs for People
- Enrollment in AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Program
- Relocation allowance for new VISTAs moving over 50 miles to serve
- Childcare subsidy for qualifying VISTAs
- Ongoing training and professional development throughout year of service
Post-Service Benefits (after serving 1 year as a VISTA)
- The choice of $6,000 education award (which can be applied towards school or paying off existing student debt) or $1,800 cash stipend
- Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment for one year
- Relocation allowance to cover costs of returning to permanent residence after service
- Access to a state-wide and national network of alumni