School 33 Art Center's Exhibitions Internship, offered by the Baltimore Office Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) is a part-time unpaid practicum that will provide exposure to various aspects of developing, implementing and managing exhibitions and studio residency programs. Intern(s) will have opportunities to observe the comprehensive processes of acquiring and displaying artwork - from studios to galleries to audiences. BOPA’s Gallery Exhibition Program includes exhibition space at School 33 Art Center, and the Bromo-Seltzer Arts Tower Galleries.
By shadowing BOPA’s Exhibitions & Programs Associate, intern(s) will learn about and gain exposure to various aspects of artwork procurement, gallery exhibition facilitation, and studio residency program management such as:
· Familiarization with local and regional art communities, the artists, and their work.
· Strategic planning and execution of calls for entry and jury and curatorial processes.
· Installation and removal of exhibits, including a comprehensive view of the technical components and methods of creating and maintaining systems utilized in artwork installation, including tool and supply organization.
· Techniques of effective communication and interaction with artists and audience members to facilitate the success of an exhibition.
· Opportunities to engage in a variety of workshops, artist talks and presentations, panel discussions and other programming events that relate to specific exhibitions, including opening receptions.
· Learning the intricacies of studio resident program management through observation of residency applicant interviews, studio visits, and attending residents’ group critiques and mentor reviews.
Hours & Compensation
This is a non-paid internship. For official credit and evaluation students must be able report to BOPA’s Exhibition & Programs Associate two days per week Monday through Friday, or the equivalent of 14 hours per week. Interns will be located School 33 Art Center at 1427 Light Street in Baltimore’s Federal Hill neighborhood, unless scheduled otherwise. On selected weekdays interns will shadow the Exhibitions & Programs Associate from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, evening hours will be required for School 33 Gallery openings. For consideration to participate in the internship program, student must commit to a schedule in advance.
To Apply for an Internship:
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com Please identify the specific name of the internship and semester for which you are applying in the subject line. Please visit our website, school33.org to familiarize yourself with our mission and programming.
Application due no later than February 3, 2020.