Through assisting full-time staff with program development and facilitation, the internship will enable interns to gain knowledge of how a museum education department operates and be able to apply the skills learned to future professional goals. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history, museum education, enjoy working with the public (including children and families), and feel comfortable speaking to groups. Training on MdHS collections, exhibitions, tour methodology and themes, and museum policies will be provided. Interns work with MdHS education staff and volunteers on a range of tasks, including the following:
• Assist with the facilitation of school, youth and family, and adult programs.
• Work with MdHS staff to develop school, homeschool, and family programs.
• Collaborate with other museum departments (archives, curatorial) to research and find material that supports visitor engagement.
• Other tasks aimed at furthering the mission of the education department and meeting the intern’s interests and goals.
• Occasionally assisting with off-site outreach programs.
Skill Set Required
• 18 years or older
• Pursuing a degree in history, museum studies, or education.
• Knowledge of American history and culture (Maryland history desired)
• Physical ability to lead indoor walking tours (including stairs) of up to 3 hours
• Enthusiastic and friendly personality
• We are looking for interns to commit to 10-12 hours per week.
o Must be able to work on Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
o Must be able to work one weekend Youth and Family program a month.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
History, Museum Studies, or Museum Education
Fall (Sep - Dec)
Hours per week:
Wednesdays and Fridays
Yes, $1,000 stipend
August 1, 2018
Resume, Cover Letter
Please email your resume and cover letter to David Armenti, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Education.
- Complimentary MdHS membership, including free library and museum admission
- Complementary admission to MdHS lectures and programs
- Professional orientation and ongoing monthly training