The BMA offers Internships that provide hands on experiences in various aspects of the museum field. These positions provide the opportunity for Interns to contribute to Museum projects and activities while learning how a major institution functions on a day-to-day basis. Interns will be guided by their supervisor who will act as a mentor to teach them about their department’s function within the Museum.
Please note that all Internship opportunities will be virtual this semester.
Applicants must fulfill one of the following criteria:
● Currently enrolled in a Graduate or Undergraduate Program
● Recent graduate from an accredited program (within 5 years)
● PhD candidate
● Most positions will meet virtually 1-3 days per week*
● Selected candidates will be expected to start in late September/early October 2020
● If you require a specific number of hours or are planning to do this internship for credit, please state your requirements in your cover letter
* This time is subject to change depending on the unique schedule that will be created with each selected candidate.
● Cover Letter/Statement of Interest
● Academic Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
● Letter of Recommendation from a professor, academic advisor, or supervisor (only 1 letter will be accepted)
● Graphic Design applicants must also supply an electronic portfolio (website, links, documents, etc.)
All materials must be submitted by Sunday, September 20th, 2020. We will not accept any materials after this date.
Notification of Decision
Please note that we do not review applications until after the Application Deadline, so you will not hear from us until after that date, if you are selected for an interview. We appreciate your patience during this time.
* Due to the number of applications we receive, we are only able to contact applicants selected for the interview process.
Sending Applications/Letters of Reference
● All materials must be sent virtually.
● All Application materials should be sent to email@example.com.
● Please indicate the position(s) you are applying for in the subject line
* Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any trouble sending documents via email.
BMA Internship Program Stipends
All BMA Interns are awarded a $750 stipend.
The Joshua Johnson Council Stipends
The Museum offers two paid positions aimed at increasing participation of minority groups who are underrepresented in the fields of museum programming and administration. If you are interested in applying for a JJC Stipend, please indicate this clearly in your cover letter/letter of intent. The two candidates selected to receive a JJC stipend ($1000/ each) will be notified.
Please note that if you are awarded a JJC Stipend, you are not eligible for a $750 BMA Internship Program stipend.
Q: May I apply for more than one open Internship opportunity?
A: Yes, you may apply for up to two open positions. Please reference them in your Cover Letter/Letter of Intent.
Q: What should I include in my Cover Letter/Letter of Intent?
A: Please include specific references to the position(s) for which you are applying and why you are interested in that department(s). It’s best to list experiences/classes that relate to the position(s). Also, please note if you are doing this Internship for credit.
Any additional questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.