Irvine Nature Center is a non-profit educational organization that offers programs of environmental studies and natural science to children and adults of the greater Baltimore area. Our mission is to educate and inspire current and future generations to explore, respect and protect nature.
Irvine Nature Center is seeking creative, enthusiastic, and organized interns to prepare for and lead hands-on, outdoor environmental education programs for school-aged children. Interns will be trained to implement science-based lesson plans and will learn local natural history, trailside activities, and teaching techniques. Other general duties include assisting with Nature Camps which includes live animal care and presentations, leading trail hikes and camper supervision.
Skill Set Required
- Applicants must be interested in natural sciences, environmental science, science education, outdoor recreation, or related fields
- Work experience with children
- Strong interest in the environment and natural history
- Strong interest in education
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with (or enthusiasm to learn) a variety of environmental education activities
- Your own transportation
- 20 hours per week
- Must have availability between 8am-4pm (times may vary)
- Monday-Friday (possible weekend availability)
- Must be available for training dates.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Outdoor Education, or Human Services. Natural sciences, Environmental Science or related fields also considered.
Owings Mills, MD
Fall (Sep - Dec)
Hours per week:
U.S. Citizen/U.S. National, Permanent U.S. Resident
Resume, References, Other - https://www.explorenature.org/the-nature-center/support/volunteer/