The Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations (Maryland Nonprofits) is one of the largest and most successful state associations of nonprofits in the country. Our mission is to strengthen organizations and networks for greater quality of life and equity.
Maryland Nonprofits is the primary resource for advice and assistance on nonprofit management issues for the state’s nonprofit community. We conduct training programs and provide technical assistance in most areas of nonprofit management; promote opportunities for information sharing and networking and represent the interests of our members and the nonprofit sector before the General Assembly, Congress, and local governments. We are recognized across the nonprofit sector and among policymakers, the media, opinion leaders, and the general public, as the leading representative of and the authoritative source of information about the state’s nonprofit sector.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
Standards for Excellence Program:
- Identifying needs and drafting written educational materials in response to frequently asked questions, especially for the program’s topical training program series and for the series of 27 Standards for Excellence educational resource packets
- Conducting research and writing educational materials on selected topics upon request from nonprofit organizations and for publications such as Maryland Nonprofits Weekly Update and Blog Series
- Assemble and develop materials to enhance efforts to replicate the Standards for Excellence program nationally.
- Involvement in implementing a voluntary accreditation program for organizations seeking to demonstrate compliance with the Standards for Excellence: An Ethics and Accountability Code for the Nonprofit Sector, including providing assistance in strengthening processes for accreditation and recognition applicants, assisting with creating a catalog of applicants’ expectations, observations, requirements, and commendations
- Research and event preparations related to annual Standards for Excellence Licensed Consultant program
- Research and due diligence related to potential replication partners and Licensed Consultants
Nonprofit Management Training Program:
- Participate in selected training programs (as determined by student and supervisor based on field placement goals).
- Assist with staffing management and governance-related training programs, as needed and as schedule permits
Technical Assistance Services
- Provide technical assistance (and conduct research that will be utilized by team members providing assistance) to board members and staff of individual nonprofit organizations on a broad range of nonprofit management topics, including board development, fundraising, human resources management, organizational development, volunteer management, nonprofit start-up, etc. Emphasis will be on helping groups to implement Maryland Nonprofits’ Standards for Excellence, a comprehensive code of conduct for nonprofit organizations.
Skill Set Required
- Desire to learn about nonprofit management and governance
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in one or more nonprofit organizations as a volunteer, an intern, or a staff person
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, experience with Excel, Word, Powerpoint preferred
- Strong planning skills and high attention to detail
- Be a flexible, skilled problem-solver who takes the initiative to advance and complete tasks
Summer (Jun - Aug)
Hours per week:
Yes, $15.00 per hour for up to 20 hours per week salary
April 30, 2021
Resume, Cover Letter, Writing Sample
Required application materials:
- A customized cover letter explaining: your interest in Maryland Nonprofits, the nonprofit sector, and the internship position you are applying for; how your skills and past experiences prepare you for the role; and what you hope to get out of an internship.
- This cover letter will be considered as a sample of your writing ability. (Submit as a PDF)
- Your resume (Submit as a PDF)
- An additional writing sample in addition to your cover letter (Submit as a PDF)
Please send the above materials to Amy Coates Madsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maryland Nonprofits office is located at 1500 Union Ave, Suite 2500, Baltimore, MD 21211. Remote work may be arranged. Internships are part-time and interns should be available to work 20 hours a week. Interns do not need to provide their own computers.