The Education Department at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore offers a summer internship opportunity to an undergraduate student interested in a writing career who may be working towards a degree in education, journalism, history, social studies, or environmental science and public policy (although other majors could also be considered). The intern will work under the supervision of the Zoo’s Senior Writer & Interpretation Specialist to research and write content that may be used in exhibit interpretation or for publication in the Zoo’s magazine or on the Zoo’s website. The internship is designed to provide students with opportunities to develop research, interviewing, and writing skills while also gaining exposure to the fields of exhibit design and interpretation, informal education, and to some extent public relations and marketing.
- Conduct long-term research on a topic to be provided by the Zoo’s Senior Writer;
- Produce a report on the assigned topic by the end of the internship;
- Storyboard exhibit interpretation ideas on the assigned topic;
- Accompany the Senior Writer on interviews and conduct at least 2 interviews independently;
- Complete short-term writing assignments for the Zoo’s website and/or magazine;
- Assist other departments in completing research and/or writing assignments as needed.
Skill Set Required
- An undergraduate enrolled in an accredited college pursuing a degree in education, journalism, history, social studies, or environmental science and public policy or a related field preferred;
- Must complete a minimum of 80 hours within the 8 week session, averaging approximately 10-15 hours per week, during the hours of Monday- Friday, 8:30am- 4:30pm;
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of age groups, learning skills, as well as ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
- Proficient knowledge in Microsoft Office programs, basic computer skills required; and
- Must be a strong communicator, creative thinker, analytical/strategic thinker, strong writer, proficient editor, and have familiarity with the Baltimore/Maryland community.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
in education, journalism, history, social studies, or environmental science and public policy or a related field preferred
Summer (Jun - Aug)
Hours per week:
Monday- Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
February 28, 2018
Resume, Cover Letter, Writing Sample, Other - school transcript
To apply, internship candidates must complete the online Volunteer Application available online at: http://www.marylandzoo.org/support-the-zoo/volunteer/college-internships/ and submit the following:
- School transcript, official or unofficial, and copies are accepted
- Cover letter explaining the applicant’s:
- Goals and how this internship will help achieve those goals;
- Relevant skills, activities, experience and/or classes;
- School requirements for internship credit (if applicable);
- Start and end dates, and days of availability.
- Application materials may be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Volunteer Department:
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
1876 Mansion House Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21217
- Internships are unpaid, and there is no reimbursement for transportation or housing;
- Internships may require a minimum of 100 hours or more, with a regular weekly commitment;
- For timely consideration all applications, materials are due:
- February 28th – Summer session
- All applicants will be notified upon receipt of all materials. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.