The Maryland Green Purchasing Committee (GPC) seeks a full-time undergraduate, graduate, or post-grad for a temporary full time paid summer internship opportunity. This is a unique opportunity to gain valuable hands on experience with sustainable procurement in State government and make a meaningful impact on the future of Maryland’s food procurement. The position will report to the DGS Secretary’s Designee for Green Purchasing, within the DGS Office of Energy Performance & Conservation.
This position will primarily serve to support the Maryland GPC’s Working Group on Carbon-Intensive Foods. The intern will take the lead in researching Carbon-Intensive food procurement. The intern will work collaboratively with the Working Group and other outside stakeholders to produce a list of carbon-intensive foods, and to research and contribute to Best Practices for State government carbon-intensive food procurement, tracking, and reporting.
Skill Set Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders including State agency procurement staff, non-profit environmental groups, and legislative staff
- Passion for the environment and reducing the State’s impact on the environment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Coursework in Environmental Science, Public Policy, or Environmental Policy
Summer (Jun - Aug)
Hours per week:
20 or more hours
M-Thurs or M-Fri
Yes, $15-20/hour stipend
May 10, 2019
To Apply: Please send resume to Emily Soontornsaratool at Emily.Soontornsaratool@maryland.gov by 5/10/2019.