The Visitor Services department at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore offers internship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students working toward a degree in hospitality management. This internship is designed to provide students with a well-rounded experience in providing the positive, informative human interactions that enhance every guest’s experience. Interns will be on hand to greet and assist our many guests from entrée at the Main Gate to riding the shuttle into the heart of the zoo.
- Facilitate the daily operation of the Visitor Services area to include opening and closing of appropriate locations, problem-solving, training, and securing of funds;
- Guest resolution;
- Managing daily guest operations;
- Admissions (cash in & cash out procedures)
- Rides & attractions
- Custodial services
- Customer services
- Interact with guests in a friendly, professional, and informed manner;
· Work with the Visitor Services Managers and Supervisor to continually update and plan operational strategy to maximize contribution and level of service;
- Maintain exceptional standards of customer service, cleanliness and physical appearance of all locations;
- Provide guest controls; and
- Employee management.
Skill Set Required
· Internship must be completed for a college credit;
· Must be able to work with individuals from a wide variety of age groups and ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
· Must have valid photo identification;
· Must have a flexible availability;
· Must have excellent communication skills;
· Willing to learn more about Maryland Zoo amenities, layout and operations;
· Must be able to walk large areas of the Zoo as needed;
· Must be able to stand on hard surfaces for long periods of time; and
· Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and weather conditions.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
Summer (Jun - Aug)
Hours per week:
20 or more hours
February 28, 2018
Resume, Cover Letter, Other - copy of school transcript
To apply, internship candidates must complete the online Intern- College Level, Application Form available online at: http://www.marylandzoo.org/support-the-zoo/volunteer/college-internships/ , and submit the following:
- School transcript, official or unofficial, and copies are accepted
- Cover letter explaining the applicant’s:
- Goals and how this internship will help achieve those goals;
- Relevant skills, activities, experience and/or classes;
- School requirements for internship credit;
- Start and end dates, and days of availability.
- Application materials may be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Volunteer Department:
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
1876 Mansion House Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21217
- Internships are unpaid, and there is no reimbursement for transportation or housing;
- Internships may require a minimum of 100 hours or more, with at least a weekly commitment;
- For timely consideration all applications, materials are due:
- February 28th – Summer session
- All applicants will be notified upon receipt of all materials. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.