This is an 11 month, full-time (40 hours/week) position as a member of the Volunteer Maryland (VM) AmeriCorps program, placed by VM to serve as a Volunteer Coordinator at Girl Scouts of Central Maryland. The applicant must be available to start work in late August.
The AmeriCorps Member will recruit, place and oversee 70 new volunteers in GSCM’s environmental conservation projects, the G.I.F.T program and the Beyond Bars program. They will create the entire volunteer program infrastructure for non-troop volunteers, including (1) policies and procedures manual; (2) program tracking system; (3) volunteer application (4) volunteer position descriptions (5) recruitment materials; (6) screening materials, orientation/training agenda and materials; (7) volunteer recognition/retention plan. This position will develop sources of skilled and unskilled volunteers, implement all volunteer recruitment, placement, training and oversight of volunteer effort. This position will track volunteer activity, and assess/document best practices. This position will work collaboratively with the GSCM Property Department and the Beyond Bars/GIFT Program staff to develop standard practices that will sustain the program after the first year.
Skill Set Required
- Some college is preferred, with an AA degree or equivalent credits in areas of environmental sciences, communications, non-profit management or related fields. One year of experience in these areas can be substituted for 2 years of study at an institution of higher education.
- Skilled at building interpersonal relationships, to work effectively independently, as part of a team and to manage volunteers.
- Skilled at verbal and written communication.
- Some background in policy-writing, risk management and human resources activities is a plus.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft office suite of products such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint.
- Strong understanding of social media platforms and use.
- Have own, or have access to, transportation to and from work site and activities.
Preferred Areas of Study/Major(s)
Human Resources, Communications, Non-profit management, environmental sciences
Fall (Sep - Dec), Winter (Jan)
Hours per week:
20 or more hours
Yes, $14000 stipend + $6200 tuition award stipend
U.S. Citizen/U.S. National
July 20, 2020
Resume, Cover Letter, References
Send a cover letter and resume to Ryan Janes, Facility and Property Director, at Rjanes@gscm.org. Once reviewed by GSCM, the applicant will be referred to Volunteer Maryland, a State agency, for on-boarding and placement at Girl Scouts.
This is a great gap year project. The contacts you will make in the field, and the experience you will gain in many areas of non-profit management will be invaluable to a future career.
The main locations of operation for the Volunteer Coordinator are GSCM Headquarters, 4806 Seton Drive in Baltimore City, and Camp Whippoorwill, 524 Lake Shore Drive, Pasadena, MD. Volunteer Maryland provides (at its facility in Crownsville) approximately 20 days of training in program development, volunteer management, marketing, communication, leadership skills, history of National Service, AmeriCorps and unallowable activities. Training is held the first two weeks of the service year, with monthly training days throughout the rest of the year.
Volunteer Maryland AmeriCorps members receive a living stipend of $14,028; health insurance if they are not already covered; and may qualify for a child care allowance. Other benefits: mileage reimbursement for site-related travel, student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities. After completion of a successful service year, members receive an education award of $6,195 through the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. Some members may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, per Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.