The Maryland Zoo Volunteer Office plays a critical role in supporting the Zoo’s mission of conservation, education, entertainment and research by providing over 35,000 hours of volunteer service each year. Volunteers serve in all areas of the zoo including animal care, education, horticulture and visitor services. Volunteer Management Interns will participate in the recruitment, training, scheduling, tracking, documentation, supervision and recognition of volunteers. This position also provides a unique opportunity for interns to assist in developing conservation, teen, and/or internship programming, depending on the intern’s interests and career goals. Students of Environmental Studies, Human Services, Anthropology, Sociology, Education, and many more are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of age groups and ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;
- Friendly, outgoing and patient personality;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks;
- Willingness to learn about Maryland Zoo amenities, layout, and operations;
- Must be able to walk large areas of the Zoo as needed; and
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and weather conditions.
Skill Set Required
Time Commitment: Two days per week, Sunday - Thursday; 8:30 am-4:30 pm daily.
Please note: Internships are unpaid, and there is no reimbursement for transportation or housing;
Opportunities: The Volunteer Department can offer up to one internship position per session.
Training: Maryland Zoo Intern Orientation (2 hours); On-the-job training for position.
Spring (Feb - May)
Hours per week:
October 31, 2019
Resume, Cover Letter, Other - Unofficial Transcript