We are currently offering internship positions in Baltimore, MD to students and recent graduates who are interested in pursuing careers in journalism, sociology, public health, data analysis or the legal fields.
Baltimore Witness is a news site (www.baltimorewitness.org) that provides transparency on violent crime cases in Baltimore, MD. The site does this by collecting data on cases from date-of-death/incident to judicial resolution, reporting on court proceedings, and conducting interviews.
The site is a sister site to the successful D.C. Witness news site (www.dcwitness.org) in the District of Columbia.
This is not a coffee-grabbing internship. As a Baltimore Witness intern, you will have the opportunity to provide communities, government and various other parties in the city with information on local violent crime.
Intern duties may include:
- Tracking violent crime cases;
- Attending court hearings/trials on violent crimes;
- Writing articles on violent crime cases, data and trends;
- Researching court documents
- Analyzing Baltimore crime-reduction policies;
- Assisting with interviewing families of defendants and victims;
- Assisting with interviewing court employees and other officials;
- Participating in multimedia projects; and
- Performing other administrative responsibilities.